Saturday, June 11, 2011

Visa Fiasco

Another countdown post because I think it's the best way to tell these stories:

Three years ago Ezra and I knew that visas would be one of the many hurdles that we'd have to hurdle to make this trip happen.

One year ago we started researching.  We would need a double entry business visa for Russia and an invitation for the visa.  Mongolia also required a visa: 60 day tourist.

Three months ago we found out that we could only apply for a Mongolian visa within 60 days of entering the country and a Russian visa within 45 days of entering the country.  60 days before entering Mongolia and 45 days before entering Russia fell on nearly the same date and were within one month of leaving for Japan.  So with less than a month before getting on the plane for Japan we had to start the visa process for two countries, both of which would take more than two weeks.

Six weeks ago we started the application process for a second U.S. passport.  We'd send one passport to the Mongolian Embassy and one to the Russian Embassy to start the visa processes simultaneously.  Meanwhile Richard and I were confirming the visa application process on the Mongolian Embassy's website.  Richard found a statement on the site saying specifically that a visa is not necessary for a U.S. tourist in Mongolia visiting for less than 90 days.  I found a statement saying the opposite.  Both clearly written on the Mongolian Embassy's website.  We called the Embassy's multiple phone numbers to no avail.  The phone numbers listed on the Embassy's websites did not work!  Dial tone every time we called.

Five and a half weeks ago we cancelled the application for a second passport.  Richard confirmed (I forget how) that we did not need a visa in Mongolia.

Four weeks ago when we entered into the 45 day application window we sent our passports to Travisa, a passport and visa service within the U.S.  They would apply for the invitation and visa for us and ensure that we got everything in time.

Three weeks ago.  Richard got a call from Travisa telling him that my passport was rejected because it expires in February 2012.  Not too much of a problem.  We still had time, but Truvisa had to send my passport in for a rush renewal which cost a few hundred dollars.

Two weeks, four days ago I got a call from Travisa.  My passport was rejected at the State Department because according to them I was under 16 when the passport was issued.  I would need to apply for a new passport instead of a renewal.  I double checked my passport photocopy, I was 19 when the passport was issued.  The Travisa agent I was working with, Ruthe, confirmed this with the original passport.  The State Department made a mistake.  Now we were cutting it close!  But no problem according to Truvisa.  Ruthe was very helpful and spoke with the State Department to sort out the issue.  I could still get my passport and visa back by Friday, June 10th, two days before leaving for Japan.

Two weeks three days ago I was paranoid and called Ruthe to confirm that the visa would make it to me by June 10th.  Yes it would.  I also confirmed the shipping address in Portland.  Over the next two weeks I confirmed again and again via email and phone that I would have the passport and visa on time.

Two days ago, Thursday, Ezra's passport and visa arrived in Portland from Truvisa as planned.

Yesterday, Friday, Richard called me to say that his passport arrived in Fort Collins, as planned.  After I got off the phone with Richard I called Truvisa.  Yes, my passport and visa were in their office and they were sending them FedEx overnight to me.  I went to be relieved that I only had to worry about FedEx losing the package (very rare for overnight deliveries).

Today, AM, I find a FedEx package on the doorstep.  Open it.  No visa or passport.  It was a last minute order from Amazon.com that I had overnighted (Amazon Prime is the best!).  Now I'm a little worried because I assumed that FedEx would deliver all their overnight packages to one address at the same time.  But I figured I'd wait an hour or so and see what happens.

Today, 12:09PM, I receive a text message from Richard's dad in Fort Collins, CO.  It reads:

"Your passport is here, but [Richard] left.  What now?"

WTF!!!


More to come...

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment