Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hardcore iPhone Case for the Trip

Well I dropped my iPhone a couple weeks ago and broke the screen.  It got me thinking that a phone made of glass isn't going to last on this trip without some protection.  So I looked into just that.  My research led me to the Otterbox Defender, the Otterbox Commuter, the Cygnett WorkMate, and the Ballistic HC. I hated the fact that Otterbox didn't cover the Apple logo with either case. Why make a protective case, but leave a circle pointlessly uncovered?  In the end I found an unused Ballistic HC (Hard Core) on eBay for $18 shipped and I couldn't resist.  It's my first piece of equipment bought for the trip so I'm pretty excited and I wanted to share it with everyone.

Ballistic says that the HC offers "4 layers of protection."  I can't figure out what the layers are, but this is one tough case!  There's a hard plastic "case" with a separate soft rubber "skin" that all fits into a plastic belt clip.  The case adds a small amount of weight and a considerable amount of bulk, but I didn't buy the HC to look pretty or slip into my pocket more easily.  I bought it to protect, and I have not doubt that it will.  

It fits into the belt clip face first (screen in) which seems useful.  Another layer of protection over the screen can't be a bad idea.  But, as I'm not a construction foreman or a captain of industry, I don't clip my phone to my belt. As of now the belt clip is just an odd device that keeps the phone from fitting into my pocket.

-Jack







No comments:

Post a Comment